Family in agony after kin is abducted by unknown people


The family of a 27 year-old man who was allegedly abducted by unknown people almost four months ago, has called on the government to intervene and help them find their kin.

According to the family that hails from Bacon estate in Kiplombe, Uasin Gishu County, Daniel Muya Wachira was abducted at gun point in broad daylight, on March 20.

No one knows of his whereabouts months later and the family has been desperately trying to establish where their son could have been taken and whether he could be alive or dead.

Wachira’s mother, Jennifer Khavosa told the standard that the family had reported the disappearance of their son at Central police station in Eldoret and went ahead to search for Wachira in various hospitals and even mortuaries to no avail.

“I have had sleepless nights since my son disappeared. I am sick and my blood pressure has never been stable since I received the news of his abduction. But all we ask the government is to help us find Wachira,” said Khavosa.

She added that at first they believed that their son could have been arrested by police officers, but after visiting the police stations in Eldoret and Kakamega, they were informed that their kin was not booked in any cell.

Dennis Wachira, a nephew to the missing Wachira, narrated how his uncle was dragged into a blue Subaru by three heavily built men while they were on their way to Huruma.

He said that they had stopped when his uncle met his friends and engaged in a conversation with them when a speeding motorbike stopped and three men dressed in black jacked started shooting up before taking Wachira with them.

“They were armed with guns and as they shot up and everyone scampered for safety, they went after my uncle, tied him down and took him to a waiting blue Subaru. We didn’t know whether they were police officers or just civilians, but I overheard them question him whether he thought that they would not find him,” said Dennis.

Wachira’s elder sister, Rosa Mbogo accused the police of doing less to help them look for their kin, despite reporting the matter.

She said that she had been called by an unknown number and the callers demanded ransom of sh 15,000 in order to release her brother but when she reported the matter to the police, not much was done.

“I reported the blackmail issue since we could not afford to pay the ransom and we had no assurance that the callers had my brother. However we are still waiting for investigations to be completed,” said Mbogo.

The distraught family says that they are afraid that Wachira’s life could be in danger since he was abducted barely three months after his release from remand prison.

They said that Wachira had been arrested in February 2018 on allegations of being involved in criminal activities but was later released after spending three years in remand, since no evidence was provided to incriminate him.

The village elder Francis Odera called upon the ministry of interior security and the relevant authorities to investigate the issue and help the family find their son.

“Such incidents have not been reported in this area but it is horrifying given the increasing cases of mysterious abductions and murder in the country,” said Odera.


Uasin Gishu Deputy County Commander Zacchaeaus Nge’no confirmed that the case had been reported at the police station adding that investigations were still underway.
“I confirm that the disappearance of Wachira was reported at Eldoret Central police station and investigations are still on the way. For now we treat the case as of a missing person until he is found,” said Ng’eno.

Post Author

Leave a Reply