Vipasho News

Latest News in Realtime

How to Start Nyama Choma Business

Nyama choma is one of the favorite dishes for many Kenyans. Many Kenyan men love nyama choma, and it is one of the most ordered food during festivities and weekends.

Businesses dealing with nyama choma and beer thrive due to their high demand.

You can start a nyama choma business in almost any part of the country and start making a good income.

It is estimated that only 1% of businesses which sell nyama choma make losses. The remaining 99 percent are swimming in profits.

In this article, we are going to show you how you can start a nyama choma business in Kenya.

*Find a Good Business Location*

For you to succeed in the nyama choma business in Kenya, you need to set up your business in a reliable location.

Some of the best locations to set up your nyama choma business include near or outside a pub, hotel, or a club.

You can also start one near universities and colleges, or social places, market centers.

Some of the best towns to start nyama choma business include Nakuru, Gilgil, Mombasa, Kiambu, Nairobi, Busia, Kisii, Nairobi, Murang’a, and Mtwapa.

*Decide on the Type of Nyama Choma to Sell*

The first thing you need to do before starting a nyama choma business is to decide the kind of nyama choma you want to sell.

You can sell a wide variety of nyama choma like goat, beef, chicken, pork, and even rabbit.

Identify which kind of meat people in your locality love most. Most Kenyans prefer goat meat over beef.

*Find Reliable Meat Suppliers*

The next thing you need to do to start nyama choma business is to identify reliable suppliers.

For instance, if you are around Nairobi, you can source meet from slaughter houses in Dagoretti or Kitengela.

If you are around Thika or Murang’a, you can get meat supply from Kabati.

If you are around Mombasa, you can get meat from town market opposite A One Supermarket.

*Cost of Starting a Nyama Choma Business*

The cost of starting nyama choma business in Kenya depends on the size of your business and business location.

Starting a nyama choma business outside a building would cost you less than inside a building. You will need at least Ksh.20,000 to start a nyama choma business in Kenya.

Grill meat roaster – Ksh.7,000

Meat stock – Ksh.5,000

Business licenses – Ksh.5,000

Space rent – Ksh.8,000

*Is Nyama Choma Business Profitable in Kenya?*

Most people I have talked with indicate that they make Sh.2,000 to Sh.10,000 per day in Nairobi.

In Mombasa, especially Mtwapa, they make Sh.1,000 to Sh.7,000 per day.

The profit in Kisumu and Kisii is between Sh.500 to Sh.4,000 per day.

The best towns to start nyama choma business are Thika, Nairobi, Kiambu, Mombasa, Mtwapa, Kisumu, Kisii, Nakuru, Naivasha and Busia.

Kenyans love goat meat more than beef. They also love chicken meat, especially those in Nairobi.

Nyama choma business is one of the most profitable meat businesses you can start in Kenya.

The high demand for meat and nyama choma makes it a good venture.

To make it in the business, start one near areas with a high population like market centers.

*Tips on How to Make it in the Nyama Choma Business in Kenya*

To make it in the nyama choma business in Kenya, do the following:

*Sell some extras like mutura and soup

*Ensure that your business premise is always clean

*Hire someone who knows how to roast meat

*Look for soft meat

*Identify fast moving nyama choma; goat, beef etc

*In Conclusion*

Starting nyama choma business is a profitable venture in Kenya. Its demand is high and it is one of the most preferred food.

You can sell a wide variety of nyama choma like goat, beef, pork and chicken.

Identify which one is fast moving and then sell more of it. You can also sell extras like mutura and soup to generate more profits.

As we always tell you, there’s no marathon race that has ever been won by those who did not start the race.

If you like the idea discussed above and you have what it takes to actualize it… then don’t wait to start… just do it.

Also, don`t forget to join our training on Beauty Business. We only have 3 days remaining.

Kenyans spend over Ksh.5 billion a month buying beauty products. These include bath and shower products, cosmetics, skin care, baby care, oral care and perfume products.

Demand for beauty and cosmetic products in Kenya has grown steadily over the last one decade.

Within those few years, some of the small retailers in this line of business have grown into “supermarket” status and they have opened branches across the region.

Clearly, you don’t need rocket science to understand just how promising this industry is.

Timothy Angwenyi
Business Consultant.

Justine Nyachieo
Business Man & Mentor

Leave a Reply